Who We Are
BOGA is co-chaired by the governments of Denmark and Costa Rica.
The Beyond Oil and Gas Alliance (BOGA) is an international alliance of governments and stakeholders working together to facilitate the managed phase-out of oil and gas production. Led by the governments of Denmark and Costa Rica, the alliance aims to elevate the issue of oil and gas production phase-out in international climate dialogues, mobilize action and commitments, and create an international community of practice on this issue.
THE MARSHALL ISLANDS
FRIENDS OF BOGA
Join The Alliance
All parties involved with BOGA must sign the BOGA declaration, and are then placed at one of three membership levels
National governments and sub-national governments or other authorities with decision-making power over licensing for oil and gas exploration and extraction.
Core members of BOGA commit to end new concessions, licensing or leasing rounds for oil and gas production and exploration and to set a Paris-aligned date for ending oil and gas production and exploration on the territory over which they have jurisdiction.
National governments, sub-national governments, and other authorities with decision-making power over licensing for oil and gas exploration and extraction. In addition to signing up to the BOGA declaration, associate members have taken one or more of the following significant concrete steps that contribute to the reduction of oil and gas production:
- Implemented ambitious domestic subsidy reform as part of a plan to end subsidies that support oil and gas within a Paris aligned timeframe;
- Ended international public financial support for oil and gas exploration and production abroad;
- Ended public financing for fossil fuel research and development activities;
- Implemented other significant measures that contribute to reducing the supply oil and gas on the global market;
- Signal an interest in developing short and long term concrete Paris aligned commitments for oil and gas production before 2025 (i.e., over the course of the next NDC revision cycle).
Friends of BOGA
National and sub-national governments and other actors (indigenous peoples, international organizations, financial institutions, companies, civil society etc.) can become Friends of BOGA by signing up to the BOGA Declaration, which supports a socially just and equitable global transition to align oil and gas production with the objectives of the Paris Agreement, and commits the signatories to work together to facilitate effective measures to this end in line with the Paris Agreement and national climate neutrality targets.
We encourage all who are interested to explore opportunities for engagement and invite you to contact the Secretariat.